Friday, September 21, 2012

To be or...Technology?


We live in such a rapidly growing technological world. But the question that arises is; are we disconnecting ourselves from human interactions when we connect in our devices? Last night I went to my mom’s house for dinner, and the topic of conversation surprisingly enough was technology! My stepfather was explaining the “phenomenon” of posting an article to someone’s Facebook wall, “I mean, it’s really amazing. This person had somehow put an article on their Facebook!” He exclaimed, while I laughed and thought, “Is he serious?” To someone in my generation, to not know how to use Facebook is just wrong, but we grew up at a time where texting and the Internet is second nature.

“Hamlet’s Blackberry” is a book by American author William Powers. In it Powers argues that technology is making us become less personal and less connected. In his interview with Katie Couric, William Powers explains that technology is great and helpful in many ways, but information overload is very possible. His argument explains that despite our devices intentions of making us become more efficient individuals, it is making us less efficient and making us less connected to people, and more connected to our technological devices.

Throughout this interview I came to the realization that Mr. Powers made a very plausible argument. Many times I find myself not being able to hold conversations with people because I’m constantly thinking if I have a message on my iPhone. Throughout the course of writing this post, I’ve looked at my phone at least 10 times, and to me that is being too connected. Powers brings up the issue called “digital maximalism” and goes on to explain it means the more connected you are the better. On average, American’s spend 2.7 hours socializing on their phones, which is over twice the amount of time we spend eating. (Digital Buzz) We lack a sense of deeper connectivity to people, we see the people we interact with more as a text message or an email, rather than another human being. There is the ability to be personable in a text message or an email, but you can only go so far.

While researching my stance, I stumbled across an article that states, “Technology is ours alone, separating us from every other species, yet we continue to develop it to the point that we destroy a distinctly human process — communication.” (Collegiate Times) To me this was interesting. I don’t think that technology is 100% destroying our process of good-old-fashioned communication, but I do think it is putting us in a place where we will eventually lack some necessary social skills.
Are we in a “conundrum of connectedness”, as William Powers said in an interview with NPR? (NPR) Our brains are constantly adapting to meet the needs of our changing world, but it almost seems like we are experiencing information overload, and making our brains work harder to understand new information. We have mastered the art of multitasking, we can talk on the phone while still texting someone else, and checking our Facebook status.

In the interview William Powers says that technology is increasing our groupthink, so we lack our own individual thought. I would say I disagree with this, technology allows us to express who we are and express our thoughts. If anything, I would say technology increases our uniqueness as individuals. 
Now, like William Powers' argument, I think that technology is great! It has made our lives much easier and helped us get things done more efficiently and faster, that is if we stay off social media platforms.  Powers does not give an extremist pont of view, but rather a rational point of view. In my opinion, everyone can benefit from taking a little break from technology, even if its disconnecting for a few hours a day, or like William Powers suggested, the entire weekend. I think that it is time we stop Instagraming the roses and stop and smell them for a while. 

2 comments:

  1. Kenly,
    Your argument brings up some interesting points that I had not considered before when discussing the phenomenon of “technology overload”. I agree with William Powers when he argues that technology is making us less personal and less connected with other people on a face-to-face basis. Your article got me thinking about the future with “technology overload”. This phenomenon has only been “discovered” recently, with the innovations of things such as smart phones becoming more and more common. If this is just the beginning of a new technological era and humans are beginning to interact on a less personal level and straining communication skills, will there ever be a day where the majority of our communicating is through social media? Only time will tell, but just how much will this phenomenon change our society in 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course many people can argue the pros and cons related to technology and its effects on communication and knowledge. I agree that technology can make certain individuals less efficient and less connected, but technology can also enhance connections with other people. It allows people across the world to connect regardless of how far apart the two parties are. As technology progresses, inventors are finding ways for “necessary social skills” to be integrated with new inventions. An example of this would be Skype. Many employers use this today to conduct interviews that in a sense, is equivalent to face-to-face communication. When it comes to the idea of groupthink and individual thought, I concur and believe that technology increases individuality. With technology, people are able to see different opinions and facts about a certain topic through blogs, social media, etc. This allows for individuals to see different sides of a topic and come to their own conclusion of how they feel. Little may we realize, technology teaches us something everyday. Simply googling something you want to know can stick with you and enhance your knowledge. Yes, technology is great and without it we may not have the knowledge we have today.

    ReplyDelete